Literature of Science Fiction Discussion

Hello Guest, post comments on readings from class or story ideas. Your last visit was .

>> Go to BlackboardHomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Which novel or story was your favorite?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheDirector

PostSubject: Which novel or story was your favorite?   Thu May 29, 2008 8:12 am

To help me plan future courses, please answer the following questions:

--Which book or story was your favorite? Why do you like this one best?

--Which book or story was your least favorite? Why did you dislike it? Even though you disliked it, was it worth reading for the purpose of learning about science fiction?

--What did you like or dislike about the design of the course? What do you think could be done to improve it?

Thanks,

John Edlund
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Multi

PostSubject: Re: Which novel or story was your favorite?   Thu May 29, 2008 8:42 am

-My favorite book was The Stars My Destination because it's a character based story with action and ideas scattered all over the book.

-My least favorite book was Childhood's End because of its lack of a consistent viewpoint character. To me, the book seemed like it took forever to describe its one "what if?" question. I think that there could have been a better book in its place depending on why you chose Childhood's End in the first place. If you needed it because it was a milieu story then I don't know if it could be replaced with a better book.

-I didn't like have to read 100+ pages at a time, but then I look back on it and say, we've only read 5+ books, so I don't have any complaints there. For an honors course, I think the tests shouldn't be based so much on the reading specifically, but more on science fiction style and principle exhibited in the books. An example would be to ask: Is metaphor better used in science fiction than in classical literature? What things should a writer take into consideration before writing about unexplained technology in a science fiction novel? What kinds of soceities exist in The Stars My Destination and Snow Crash--why might the be typical of the science fiction genre?

All in all I like the course a good deal, but I would have like to see more emphasis on the writing portion of the class. I personally got excited last Wednesday when I saw that we'd be talking about our final (which is really the only writing in this class besides that one question on the first midterm). I'm looking forward to this Monday, even though there's nothing engaging about making sure you have your story idea set (although I'd personally like to find out what story Wind's doing because I could work with him on the group story). Yes I think more writing would be a good way to get hands on experience in science fiction.

Your Welcome

Daniel Miller

View user profile
djhull

PostSubject: Re: Which novel or story was your favorite?   Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:37 pm

My favorite book was The Stars My Destination. I liked the future world of Jaunting and literal World Wars that the author created. It was interesting to see Gully change so much thoughout the book.

I didn't think that Earthsea fit into the SF genre. But it was interesting to find out how fantisy and SF can be related and how Earthsea had story elements to bridge that gap.

I liked to course overall. Sometimes I had a hard time keeping up with the reading but I think it was reasonable. Over summer I plan to read some more of the robot stories in the Asimov that we didn't get around to reading.

David Hull
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aitokunaga

PostSubject: Re: Which novel or story was your favorite?   Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:03 am

I liked "Robbie" the best. I couldn't make up my mind about whether I liked the novels or not, but I know I liked Asimov's stories. Robbie is such an easily likeable character, unlike Jed, and the story and ideas were not confusing at all. The writing style was very easy to read. I think that these are some of the reasons Asimov's stories are still popular today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andrea F

PostSubject: Re: Which novel or story was your favorite?   Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:14 pm

I enjoyed parts of all the stuff we read, but i think my favorites were Asimov's stuff, the short stories, and childhood's end. I'd rate the Stars My Desitnation and Earthsea in second, and Snowcrash and "The girl who was plugged in" in third. I just like the older science fiction style better. The writing in Snowcrash and "The girl..." just seemed a bit too confusing and lengthy for my taste. But they are good for the class, giving a wide range of scifi styles.

The class as a whole was great. I liked the discussions and the questions were great for review for the test and for understanding what was going on in the stories. Being a literature class versus a Composition Class, I prefered the lack of formal story writing (Sorry Daniel). I also liked the discussion board and the story "what if" factory, even though it fizzled out toward the end. I think it really helped get us into the "what if" thinking frame of mind, even if it didnt lead to a group story per se. However, once the individual stories took off, it became hard to catch up once you fell behind.

All in all, this was my favorite class this quarter. =-D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jmbuehler

PostSubject: Re: Which novel or story was your favorite?   Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:35 pm

I really liked The Stars My Destination and Childhood's End. Snow Crash was really good, but I don't think I had enough time to carefully process and analyze the book. There was a lot of good material and interesting themes to comprehend and mull over, but I certainly didn't have the time to absorb it all in, since we had to read so many pages by a specific deadline. I'm a pretty slow reader (because I have to take in every detail), so that book was very challenging to me. Even though I finished the book in time, I feel like I might have missed out on some of the larger concepts (like the whole Sumerian mythology explanation). I liked Wizard of Earthsea, but I think the class might benefit from getting rid of that book and alotting more time to focus on the other novels. Even though Earthsea represents that fantasy/sci-fi collaboration of sorts, I still felt like the fantasy aspect of the novel was a bit of a distraction from what we were supposed to be focusing on.

With that said, the online and class discussions were great, and the tests were appropriate for the material that we were working with. For the most part, I liked everything we read in the class. I might have been a little hostile towards some of the stories at first, mainly because I found the material a little dense and confusing (see: "The Death of Dr. Island" and "The Girl Who Was Plugged In"). But what was great was that I ended up appreciating these stories once I had gone to class and listened to what others (and Professor Edlund) had to say about what we read. Once I could completely grasp the concepts behind the story, I ended up liking them anyway. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDirector

PostSubject: Re: Which novel or story was your favorite?   Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:10 am

The responses so far have been great, but I'd like to hear from more people.

John Edlund
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vicente

PostSubject: Re: Which novel or story was your favorite?   Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:49 am

Snowcrash and The Wizard of Earthsea. Awesome reading.

Running a respectable second is The Stars My Destination, and I was a big fan of most of our short stories.

I'm definitely with jmbuehler on the discussions - online and offline. Getting to discuss the reading pretty much forced me to take more interest in the concepts behind them than I would have otherwise. While I didn't like the actual writing/development in Childhood's End, for example, I have to admit the overall theme and concepts were intriguing after seeing and hearing everyone talk about the book.

Hey, and I think we all did a great job with the discussion board. Everyone who posted contributed significantly. And thanks for the board Ms. Divine Appearance (google woot. lol)! This place is so much better than Blackboard <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDirector

PostSubject: Re: Which novel or story was your favorite?   Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:29 pm

Some of you are a bit deficient in discussion board participation. I will count posts in the discussion board up to Wednesday evening at 5:00 o'clock.

Of course, some of you have five times as much participation as was required, which is delightful.

John Edlund
Back to top Go down
View user profile
btexpress

PostSubject: Re: Which novel or story was your favorite?   Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:25 pm

My favorite story was Snow Crash because of the amount of research that was put into the story and the believability of a human programming language. I liked the characters as well.

I also liked Childhood's End. I liked that it was idea based as its idea was very interesting.

I didn't like The Wizard Of Earthsea. I couldn't really follow the main character and relate, and he seemed to play a cliche role. The story was okay but definately nothing special to me.

I think the design of teh course was great and worked well with everything we did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Derek

PostSubject: Re: Which novel or story was your favorite?   Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:42 pm

I enjoyed Snow Crash because it had a lot more action than the other books.

My least favorite was probably Wizard of Earthsea because at times it was extremely dull and boring. It is worth reading for the purpose of learning about sci-fi because it allows you to see other possible worlds that you can set sci-fi in.

I didn't like the design of the discussion board. At times I would receive emails about replies and other times I didn't. I guess if there was more of an emphasis or percent weighted on the discussion board I would of checked it more often instead of waiting for emails.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
emmanalo

PostSubject: Re: Which novel or story was your favorite?   Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:17 pm

I enjoyed the short stories more than the novels, but I think that was due in part to the "instant gratification" that comes with that type of writing.

The number of pages to read was a bit daunting since I hadn't taken classes this heavy on reading in a while. However, I do agree that this should be expected from Honors students.

With regard to writing more in this class, I think it was a good amount; remember that this class is LITERATURE of Science Fiction, not WRITING Science Fiction. It is definitely helpful to understand how it is written, though.

In terms of testing, I agree it is nice to have more on the test than just what happened in the story. Honors classes are all about additional analysis, right?

The Forum was a good idea, but I think we should've had more emphasis on it. I'm always down for technological aids to learning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stephen

PostSubject: Re: Which novel or story was your favorite?   Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:40 pm

SNOW CRASH!!! Very Happy

I loved that book. Mostly because of the whole computer hacking/cyberpunk themes. Stephenson is one of the best writers I've read in a long time. He understands the hacker mentality better than anyone else, mostly because he is one Wink . His details are wonderful and add so much to the story. I also liked pretty much all of the other books, including Dr. Island, surprisingly enough Smile

As far as the class goes, I would have loved to see less writing for the tests and more thinking. I write slow, so the tests were hard but not all that mentally challenging. I enjoyed the option of writing a story instead of a paper, and even liked writing it, which is saying something for me...

Overall, I loved the class! Thanks for teaching it, I think we all had a great time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Denise

PostSubject: Re: Which novel or story was your favorite?   Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:14 am

Favorite book? I think that's a little tough to decide because I had quite a few favorites.

The ideas and concepts from The Wizard of Earthsea, The Ship Who Sang, and Snow Crash have interested me the most, I would have to say. It was already difficult enough to narrow it down to these three!! I felt that it was so unique and clever (maybe because I don't read too much Science Fiction to compare)...the way it was put together like a puzzle is ingenious.

The class was slow at times, I must admit, usually when discussing Card. It might just be that I wasn't as interested in HOW to write a short story...I'd rather read one! In the long run though, it was a good idea to have the book as a part of the class because it gave us, or me, somewhere to start on the story project.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Denise

PostSubject: Re: Which novel or story was your favorite?   Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:18 am

OH! one more thing:

I think the discussion boards are a really good asset to the class, just because it allows those who aren't really opinionated in class (such as myself) to speak up without having to deal with 20 other people staring at them!

It was too bad that there was a bit of messiness in the middle which threw me off... other than that, this site is great for our purposes and the class was exciting for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dya Cangiano

PostSubject: Re: Which novel or story was your favorite?   Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:13 am

I agree that it's difficult to narrow down just one story as my favorite. I think its probably because, for the most part, each text added to the class in some way.

Hands down my favorite novel was "The Stars My Destination"!!! I loved the literary allusions, the byronesque hero, and the fact that the central themes are still relevant today. Plus Bester did a fabulous job at constructing a story that is barely dated (yes, some of those companies...)

I loved the short story "The Ship Who Sang." It was very touching and sweet, and condensed a lot of ideas in a very brief, enjoyable story.

Least favorite...would probably have to be "Death of Dr. Island" for me. That AI was just messed up.

I thoroughly enjoyed this class. The entire class always had excellent ideas to contribute to discussion so there was never a dull moment. I wish that I had participated more, but I usually learn better through listening and thinking about things.

I think the discussion board was a good idea, and thank you Tiffany for creating the site! It definitely made it easier for our discussions. I personally am not a big fan of required online postings, just because I'm always on the go and barely have tme to check my school e-mail. It was only because of time constraints that I didn't get to read all the online stories, but I fully intend to during break.

Finally, to end this ridiculously long post, thank you Dr. Edlund for designing such an interesting course for us. You did a great job with the texts and I learned a lot about science fiction from you. The class was a lot of fun for me, in fact I don't think I've ever enjoyed a Lit class this much (and this is my 5th!) ha ha. I look forward to taking your class on rhetoric next time its offered.

-Dya
Back to top Go down
View user profile
djhull

PostSubject: Re: Which novel or story was your favorite?   Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:17 pm

I heard a good quote today about reading sf. "Keep you mind open, but not so open that your brains fall out" -unknown
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Denise

PostSubject: Re: Which novel or story was your favorite?   Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:10 pm

hahahahhahahaha.....that's such a good quote!!!

And I have to second your dislike for "Death of Dr. Island", Dya...it was just not my bag of chips.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which novel or story was your favorite?   

Back to top Go down

Which novel or story was your favorite?
Page 1 of 1