Literature of Science Fiction Discussion

Hello Guest, post comments on readings from class or story ideas. Your last visit was .

>> Go to BlackboardHomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

So what do you think?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
aitokunaga

PostSubject: So what do you think?   Wed May 07, 2008 12:42 am

I like it!!!!

I find it interesting that Bester named his character Gulliver. Lemuel Gulliver is not one of my most favorite characters in literature, but his adventures are interesting, as Gully's adventures are proving to be interesting in this novel so far.

I like how the people on the manmade satellite planet or whatever made their own culture and even had moka! That's the Maori word for the facial tatoos. Traditionally, it shows the lineage of the person, his identity, if you will. Only male chiefs were allowed to have full-face moka originally, and the female chiefs had it only around their mouths (watch Whale Rider). Now, with the revival of intrest in the Maori culture, younger people who are not chiefs are getting moka...ok-I'll stop trying to fit my major into this class now. Smile

It is neat how Bester kept a lot of the original meaning of moka in his version, with the whole tatooing their names on their foreheads.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Denise

PostSubject: Re: So what do you think?   Wed May 07, 2008 2:19 am

This was a really fast paced book. Simply enjoyed every moment.

I didn't realize that the entire Maori (?) culture was tied into this story...nice...

I can't believe what Gully did to Jiz by the way..on a side note..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDirector

PostSubject: Re: So what do you think?   Wed May 07, 2008 8:05 am

Alice,

There is no problem with bringing anthropology into the science fiction class. One of the things that I enjoy most about teaching a G.E. course like this one is that everyone brings different knowledge to the discussion. This is especially important in science fiction, where almost any body of knowledge could be relevant.

John Edlund
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spleahy

PostSubject: Re: So what do you think?   Wed May 07, 2008 8:45 am

I think this book is awesome thus far! I am really enjoying the pace and the humor always keeps me engaged. The "what if" questions in this novel are quite interesting as well. Everything about this book keeps you wanting more and more. Definately my favorite book so far in this class.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aitokunaga

PostSubject: Re: So what do you think?   Wed May 07, 2008 11:12 pm

Does this whole Gully Foyle/Geoffrey Fourmyle of Ceres revenge thing remind anyone of Edmond Dantes/Count of Monte Cristo?

And did the end seem a little rushed to anyone, or was that just me? And what happened to Olivia? Did I miss it? I can't find it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
btexpress

PostSubject: Re: So what do you think?   Thu May 08, 2008 8:35 pm

The end did seemed rushed but I thought it fit well. What I don't fully understand was Gully's "divine" revelation. I wish it would have said more at the end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theophania

PostSubject: Re: So what do you think?   Fri May 09, 2008 11:04 pm

Wow, Gully Goyle/ Geoffry Fourmyle is definitely an anti-hero. This book does remind me of the Count of Monte Cristo! He totally disguises/ reinvents himself and he's so focused on revenge that he leaves Jisbella...I'm enjoying the fast pace as well. I'm not finished reading yet though....ahh spoilers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.csupomona.edu/~tiffanyychen/stream/
J.Castillo

PostSubject: Re: So what do you think?   Sat May 10, 2008 11:16 pm

Not finished yet but I am enjoying the book so far. I wonder how the character will develop as the story continues. If he destroys Vorga, I wonder what he would do afterwards. Maybe go into acting or teaching jaunting classes Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Derek

PostSubject: Re: So what do you think?   Sun May 11, 2008 1:54 am

The ending totally caught me off guard. Great book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andrea F

PostSubject: Re: So what do you think?   Sun May 11, 2008 10:39 pm

I found the whole sensory confusion very......interesting. It did provide a nice break from the normal word-covered page. I like the ending, but I agree that it could have given a bit more explanation. Maybe I missed it, but what made the difference so that he could change his "now". Just giving the PyrE to the world? I also liked how it came full circle and ended on the Nomad, but I wished it gave more reason why.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aitokunaga

PostSubject: Re: So what do you think?   Mon May 12, 2008 12:10 am

I like how Bester used the whole word picture thing to describe sounds, smells, and feelings. It reminds me of the Mouse's tale in Alice in Wonderland where the story is written so that it looks like a mouse's tail.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dya Cangiano

PostSubject: Re: So what do you think?   Mon May 12, 2008 12:39 am

I just finished the book and I have to say that I think its my favorite one in the course (so far that is). I loved the literary allusions in the story, and the EXTREMELY well crafted character of the Byronesque anti-hero Gully Foyle. He had a total and complete transformation from beginning to end.

I know that everyone who likes the book so far has been focusing on the humor and the pace of the story, but has anyone else noticed the lack of ethics that most of the characters, and even the society in general seem to have? I mean, religion is outlawed, and criminals are routinely lobotomized, and the only character in the book that seems to have a conscience is Robin Wednesbury...Sorry, I guess I like to analyze the societies that develop in these stories and how they shape and create the characters Smile

My favorite part in the book was Yeovil approaching Foyle/Fourmyle on the Spanish Steps "Filthy pictures signore? Cellar Christians, kneeling, praying, singing psalms,kissing cross? Very naughty. Very smutty, signore. Entertain your friends...Excite the ladies" (158). I just started laughing sooooooo hard at that lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spleahy

PostSubject: Re: So what do you think?   Mon May 12, 2008 8:45 am

This book is definately my favorite of this class. The humor is awesome and the way society punishes people is quite entertaining. It's just a well-written novel from beginning to end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Multi

PostSubject: Re: So what do you think?   Mon May 12, 2008 2:14 pm

I hated that he left Jisbella behind! I really like the facial scarring though... Great book so far!

View user profile
djhull

PostSubject: Re: So what do you think?   Mon May 12, 2008 2:41 pm

Was it just me or did Foyle seem to have a kind of split personality. He would be intelligent and caring at one moment and then when he got upset, usually about Vorga, he would get very angry and hostile. He would have his normal face most of the time but when his personality changed the red scarred face would show.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spleahy

PostSubject: Re: So what do you think?   Mon May 12, 2008 2:53 pm

djhull wrote:
Was it just me or did Foyle seem to have a kind of split personality. He would be intelligent and caring at one moment and then when he got upset, usually about Vorga, he would get very angry and hostile. He would have his normal face most of the time but when his personality changed the red scarred face would show.

That's him battling his inner demons. His primative nature comes out when he is upset but when he is trying to be helpful he is calm and collected.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J.Castillo

PostSubject: Re: So what do you think?   Mon May 12, 2008 3:29 pm

I just finished the book. All I can say is that it was insane. It was awesome, the ending was completely unexpected. There was so much to the book, definitely the best book so far!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stephen

PostSubject: Re: So what do you think?   Wed May 14, 2008 12:49 am

Indeed I echo the sentiments that this was a wonderful book. I stayed up till 1:30 in the morning finishing it last thursday because I couldn't tear myself away from it lol. I agree, it was basically a science fiction version of The Count of Monte Cristo (my all-time favorite novel). Man is imprisoned falsely (not picked up by Vorga), escapes, finds a great treasure and becomes fabulously rich, which helps him on his sole goal of revenge. Both characters went from "gutter scum" to high class society. The ending was slightly different than in The Count, but it was similar. Both characters learned from their quest for revenge, and suddenly revenge wasn't the most important thing in the world.

Great read! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So what do you think?   

Back to top Go down

So what do you think?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literature of Science Fiction Discussion :: Novel and Story Discussion :: The Stars My Destination-
Jump to: