Literature of Science Fiction Discussion

Hello Guest, post comments on readings from class or story ideas. Your last visit was .

>> Go to BlackboardHomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Jamboree (just in case there were any more comments)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
J.Castillo

PostSubject: Jamboree (just in case there were any more comments)   Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:38 am

This story was really interesting. It reminds me of The Giver, where the old were executed without the general public knowing. If this senario (in Jamboree) it would be hard to break the cycle. I remember when I was twelve I was clueless. In the story there are some hints of why "mother" was reproducing humans and keeping them as children. Pop mentioned that the older people said that childhood held some their best memories. But why do you guys think the robots would keep humans as children? Why not just get rid of us or help us change our ways?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amandaheise

PostSubject: Re: Jamboree (just in case there were any more comments)   Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:18 am

Maybe mother isnt totally a robot, and there is a human comtrolling her. Maybe this person is just obsessed with finding ways for people to stay young, like in peter pan where the children never have to grow up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aitokunaga

PostSubject: Re: Jamboree (just in case there were any more comments)   Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:42 pm

Maybe this whole thing is an experiment of some sort to see what the children would do , like nurture vs nature or something...or not..just a random thought
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Umbrangelus

PostSubject: Re: Jamboree (just in case there were any more comments)   Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:43 pm

Yes but Peter Pan never resorted to killing the children to prevent them from growing up.

But again I must question why the levers were behind a "Humans Only" sign and why the robots did not just ignore the sign and trash the levels and manual overrides?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spleahy

PostSubject: Re: Jamboree (just in case there were any more comments)   Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:09 pm

This story definately had a very grim ending. It's a scary thought to think that if robots could have that kind of power over us...I don't want anything to do with human like artificial intelligence! lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jmbuehler

PostSubject: Re: Jamboree (just in case there were any more comments)   Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:16 pm

Quote :
Maybe this person is just obsessed with finding ways for people to stay young, like in peter pan where the children never have to grow up.

Yeah, the similarity to Peter Pan was one of the first things I noticed about the story as well. This story essentially encompasses the basic ideas of Peter Pan, but takes them to the EXTREME, so that this world the author has created is practically the nightmare version of Neverland. I wonder if this author actually based the idea for this story off of Peter Pan...?

The lost boys don't want to grow up because in staying children, they can avoid all the pain/pressure/responsibilities that being an adult requires. (Or when you look at Hook for instance, Robin Williams, the adult Peter, is always busy with work, and he's quite a jerk to his kids. Adults = bad!) Adulthood is completely undesireable, so the boys choose to remain young forever. This same idea almost completely applies to Jamboree. Because they're not in Neverland and they can't stay children forever, the robots have no choice but to take a more practical approach. So as soon as any child starts to mature, they will just kill them and keep the world "safe" from those horrible adults.

Jamboree was probably my favorite story so far. I like the idea that the robots probably believe that they are doing "good." They're making necessary sacrifices for the good of the human race, or whatever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aitokunaga

PostSubject: Re: Jamboree (just in case there were any more comments)   Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:23 am

I think it's kind of like a reverse Peter Pan, where Joey is trying to grow up and get away, while he is supposed to stay and get chopped up while still a child...Does that make sense?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vicente

PostSubject: Re: Jamboree (just in case there were any more comments)   Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:31 am

More sense than my connection (The Berenstain Bears).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jamboree (just in case there were any more comments)   

Back to top Go down

Jamboree (just in case there were any more comments)
Page 1 of 1